Our program offers a variety of outreach and clinical services to address the changing needs of the people. Our staff includes Clinical Diabetes Educators, Data Entry Coordinator, Healthy Hearts Case Managers, Outreach Coordinators, and Program Coordinator.
- provide diabetes education presentations at schools, Head Start programs, pre-maternal home and in the community organizations, PATC, tribal gatherings and upon request
- conduct blood glucose screenings at health clinics, health fairs, community events and upon request
- work with communities to encourage physical activity like the exercise program at the Senior Center in Bethel
- provide schools and communities with physical activity awards or garden awards.
CLINICAL DIABETES EDUCATORS
- provide diabetes self-management education for clients and their families;
- provide both inpatient and outpatient services;
- identify and educate individuals at high risk for diabetes;
- function as a resource for the health care team providing patient care;
- serve as patient advocate in delivery of diabetes care;
- provide education for patients with gestational diabetes;
- provide medical nutrition therapy;
- plan and participate in multi-disciplinary subregional
clinics in which patients receive a variety of services.
HEALTHY HEARTS CASE MANAGERS
- Serve people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes who are Alaska Native/American Indian
- Offer individualized case management to help reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease
- Work cooperatively with other diabetes team members to increase awareness of diabetes prevention and control in the community
AS A TEAM WE
- coordinate the monthly diabetes support group, every second Thursday from 12 - 1 p.m. at YKHC's CHAP Conference Room, on the second floor - across from the hospital (lunch is provided)
- host the monthly diabetes radio show every second Wednesday at 10 a.m. on KYUK
- facilitate special community events, like the Senior Health & Fitness Day and the Family Health & Fitness Day
If you would like more information or are interested in any of these services, please contact us. We are happy to assist you.
Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation
Diabetes Prevention & Control Program
P.O. Box 528, Bethel, AK 99559
Toll Free 1-877-543-6133 Direct line 907-543-6133