Specific Types of Appointments and Procedural Processes
From Guide to YKHC Medical Practices
Dental Pre Op Appointments
- Review patient chart for past medical and surgical history, recent hospitalizations and recent illness via RMT. Review current medications and complete medication reconciliation.
- Document physical exam
- Complete pre-op form and indicate if patient is cleared for surgery.
- If not cleared for surgery contact surgical department and make the department aware
- If you are uncertain if a patient is appropriate for surgery in Bethel, please discuss the case directly with the CRNA prior to approving or denying the surgery. We have CRNA’s to do anesthesia for pediatric cases here; more complicated patients who require an anesthesiologist’s presence are more appropriately managed in Anchorage.
- Return chart to clerk and inform nurse that patient is ready to be transported to surgery department.
Well Child and Sports Physical Appointments
- Well child forms are located in RAVEN. Obtain the correct form for the age of your patient. If patient falls at an in between age use the lower age and document appropriate developmental age.
- Review patient chart for past medical and surgical history, recent hospitalizations and recent illness via RMT. Review current medications and perform reconciliation.
- Document Physical Exam
- Apply Flouride varnish to teeth if indicated. Located in physician consult room.
- Order current immunizations needed. Inform nurse that patient is ready for vaccines. Order varicella prior to appointment since it comes from pharmacy and can take up to 30 minutes.
- Give patient a reach out and read book at appropriate ages located in physician consult room
- Adolescent patients: Remember to review SBRIT (ages 14-20) and IMPACT Form for ages 15-20. Make appropriate referrals as needed.
- Sports Physical: Make sure parent has completed history on form. Document physical exam on form. Make a photocopy which will be scanned by clerk into multimedia section of RAVEN and hand parent the original form. Please make sure to check for hernia on exam if not previously documented.
- Head Start Program: Requires a PPD to be placed and reported before patient can start. Give parent a copy of well child form.